Dairy Dolmat Mishcha
Stuffed Grape Leaves With Yogurt Sauce
- 6 Cups long grain rice – rinsed until water is clear
- 2 1 Lb jars Turkish grape leaves
- 2 Large onions
- 1 Bunch dill
- 1 Bunch parsley
- 1 Bunch cilantro
- 2 Bunch scallions
- Corn or canola oil
- 5 Lb Low fat plain yogurt
- 2½ LB sour cream
- Crushed garlic to taste
- Salted butter- melted
- Rinse grape leaves thoroughly in water.
- Separate each leaf, rinse and remove stem.
- Drain. Mince all herbs (cilantro, parsley and dill). This can be done in a food processor by pulsing on/off carefully. Do Not over process.
- Add greens to rinsed and drained rice. Rice should be in a large, wide bowl.
- Chop onion and scallions. Saute onions lightly in oil on medium-high (5-6 minutes ).
- Add salt.
- Do Not brown. Stir often.
- Add scallions and saute a few minutes more. Adjust the salt.
- Add onions and scallions to the rice mixture.
- Mix very carefully so as Not to break the grains of rice.
- Adjust salt.
- Wrap dolma by placing small amount of rice mixture in the middle of each leaf and wrapping into a flattened log. Make sure that it isn’t too tight so rice has room to expand.
- Use ripped grape leaves or cabbage leaves to cover the bottom of 2 eight quart pots. This protects the bottom dolma from burning.
- Fill the pot with dolma, loosely packed , only 3/4 full.
- Add boiling water almost up to the level of the dolma.
- Cover and cook on high until boiling. Then turn down flame to low and cook 45 minutes.
- Taste one dolma for doneness.
- Mix yogurt and sour cream.
- Add salt and crushed garlic, to taste.
- Add water 2 tbsp at a time until thick but pourable.
- Serve yogurt separately.
- The dolma is eaten with yogurt sauce on top and melted butter over it