Thanks to Shanie Reichman who sent me her great aunt’s recipe.
P’shala vegetable soup
Ingredients 3/4 cup red kidney beans 1 large onion, chopped 1 small cabbage, cored and sliced into 2×4 inch slices 3 stalks celery, chopped 18 oz spinach leaves 4 carrots, sliced 1/2 Lb medium egg noodles – boiled for 5 minutes and drained. Turmeric 1 tbsp flour Oil
- Boil kidney beans in water for 3 minutes.
- Drain and soak in clean water for 2-3 hours.
- In 8 qt pot, fry onion in 1/4 cup oil, on medium heat until softened (Do not brown).
- Allow to cool a few minutes and fill pot halfway with water.
- When it boils, add beans with their water.
- Add 1/8 tsp turmeric. Cook on low flame.
- After 1 hour, add water if needed and add the hard pieces of the cabbage.
- Cook for half hour and add celery and carrots. Cook for half hour.
- In a separate frying pan, fry 2 tbsp of flour in a tbsp of oil.
- Stir until browned. Cool a minute and add 1/4 cup of tepid water.
- Mix together and add slowly to the soup.
- Stir well so it doesn’t clump. Add the rest of the cabbage, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 1/2 hour and add spinach leaves.
- Cook 15 minutes and add cooked noodles.
- Adjust the salt and pepper and cook additional 10 minutes.