Thanks to Shanie Reichman who sent me her grandmother’s recipe.
Nut and raisin cookies
Ingredients 7 oz margarine 1 cup sour cream 1 tsp vanilla 3 xLg eggs 1 cup sugar 2 tsp baking powder 4 cups flour Filling 4 tbsp oil or jam Cinnamon sugar raisins walnuts – chopped 1 egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the first 6 ingredients. Add flour slowly until the dough is smooth, not sticky.
- Divide into 4 balls of dough. Roll out each ball into a rectangle.
- For traditional cookies, brush the dough with oil, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, spread walnuts and raisins.
- Alternately, can spread jam of choice on the dough and cinnamon sugar.
- Roll dough starting on the long side and brush the top with beaten egg yolk.
- Slice the dough rolls into 1 1/4 inch cookie rolls and bake on baking sheet until golden.
- Keeps in an airtight container for several weeks or frozen.