Great recipe of Galyah, Taken from the Persian Cook Book, Presented by The sisterhood of the Persian Hebrew congregation, Skokie, IL
Used with kind permission.
The recipe does not mention water amounts used to cook. I know the water gets absorbed and you should add during cooking. The Galyah is usually mixed to make “Kuarmah” – with potatoes, eggs and more
Galyah / Persian Passover Meat
- 5 lbs. book roast Top blade chuck meat (M.D.)
- 3 lbs. beef fat ground
- 3 Onion large, quartered
- Kosher Salt A lot of…
- Cut meat into large chunks about 5 inches. Make sure to trim all fat and gristle.
- Wash and place in large colander. Cover each piece liberally with kosher salt and let stand in refrigerator at least overnight.
- The next day, place ground fat with onions in large pot and cook over medium heat until all fat is liquefied and golden brown.
- Cool and strain
- Take salted meat from refrigerator and wash off all salt with cold water. Place into large pot and let cook for 1 hour, mixing frequently.
- Pour fat over meat and let boil until meat is golden brown – approximately 1 hour.
- Place meat in glass jar and pour fat to cover. Stays well preserved in fat for many months in refrigerator.